- Sweet Onions/White Onions
- 1/2 cup Aquafaba* (chickpea water)
- 1/2 cup Hemp Milk*
- 1 cup Spelt Flour
- Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Powder
The measured seasonings will be used in the dry and wet mixture, so you will need twice the ingredients.
*If you do not have aquafaba, use a total of 1 cup hemp milk instead.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Whisk together aquafaba and milk in a medium-sized bowl, then add each seasoning to the bowl and mix.
- Remove skin from onion and slice off each end of the onion, then cut through the onion about 1/4 inch apart.
- Pop off the first 6-7 rings off each slice and place them into the wet mixture.
- Add flour and seasonings (same amount used in wet mixture) to a container with a lid and shake well to mix ingredients.
- Add onion rings to dry mix and shake lightly until coated.
- Brush baking sheet with about 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil.
- Quickly dip onion rings into wet mixture and place them on baking sheet. (Coat with dry mixture and dip in wet mixture again for a thicker coating)
- Lightly drizzle onion rings with oil and bake for 10-15 minutes while keeping a eye on them.
- Using a spatula, scrape and flip the onion rings halfway through cooking. (This step is optional)
- After baking, scrape off onion rings for cooling and they are ready to serve.
- Enjoy your Alkaline Onion Rings!