Alkaline Electric Vegan “Ribs”
What You Will Need
This recipe makes 1 serving per mushroom.
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Alkaline Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup spring water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- grapeseed oil
- basting brush
- cast-iron griddle
- Skewers (optional)
This recipe can also be made on a grill, cooked in a skillet, or baked at 350°F for 10-15 minutes (after step 4).
If you do not have skewers, you can always cook the mushrooms like riblets.
- Scrape gills off the underside of each mushroom cap to avoid an earthy taste and slice mushrooms about 1/2 inch apart.
- Add mushrooms to a large container and add seasonings, water, and most of the barbecue sauce.
- Cover with a lid, shake, and store in refrigerator for about 6-8 hours. Flip container over every 2 hours.
- Take a skewer and push through 3 mushrooms around the middle, add other skewer, then add about 2-3 more slices. If any slices break, you can cook them as riblets.
- On medium heat, brush griddle with oil, and cook ribs for 12-15 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes. Brush with more barbecue sauce if desired every few flips.
- Serve with an alkaline side dish and enjoy!